The video game industry is growing very fast. Apart from being a great form of entertainment for kids and teenagers, it can be used for training.
Some forms of training include education, boosting student morale and employee awareness. Today, gaming has become an amazing training tool.
Various departments such as military, schools, and hospitals are using video games to train or educate their staff and students.
What are training video games?
Video games are now being designed to help with learning and training.
Training digital games have become so popular because they offer training opportunities that are interactive and immersive.
Training games are more beneficial than other materials used for training in schools, colleges, hospitals and government institutions.
For instance, they immerse and engage the learners.
Players are able to stay up-to-date by presenting different aspects of human emotions that include competition, pressure, and rewards.
Training games also provide an educational space for trial and error. They are also much more interactive than traditional forms of training.
The gaming environment is conducive to making mistakes and provides a virtual world where learners can experiment.
Simulation games are also beneficial to all parts of the brain. Hence, training games engage emotional and cognitive abilities.
Tasks that involve analysis, comprehension, and recollection are all vital elements of training and learning.
Happily, video games can develop all these functions by asking players to embrace information and use some hints to make informed and effective decisions.
Why use training video games?
There are so many reasons as to why people should start using training video games. Some benefits of these games include:
1. Helping to improve self-esteem – when playing video games, it is easy to interact with anyone.
Training games help to begin a dialogue and overcome social or generational barriers. Hence, using training games can boost self-esteem for students.
2. Stimulates the mind – playing brain games provides physiological benefits linked with the motivation of the brain.
In many cases, games for training improves cognitive functions, drives decision-making, and helps players learn valuable lessons and skills appropriate to real life.
3. Permanent personal development – the introduction of simulation games to learning institutions helps students to improve their skills.
Gaming favors skills such as observation, strategy-thinking, problem-solving, motivations and many others.
4. Real Life situations – training games help students learn and develop various concepts. The gaming environment is conducive to practicing, training, and learning.
And since most digital games are developed to help students in specific areas, the skills acquired are related to the real world.
Students can easily retain and apply information acquired from video games making the learning process a success.
5. Interactive training games – the interactive nature of these games makes the training process enjoyable.
Today, technology has outmaneuvered other training materials. Hence, to make training fit well into the learning institutions, the introduction of brain games is beneficial.
Training games favor communication, coordination and promotes problem-solving skills.
6. Provides immediate feedback – one major benefit of using training games is getting immediate feedback on student performance.
These games allow constant monitoring of student’s progress throughout time.
People responsible for the implementation of training can learn about the training process in a short duration.
7. A unique form of training – another advantage of using training video games over traditional form of training is its uniqueness.
It is fun, entertaining and motivating to learn through a game.
It is easier to achieve skills such as communication, critical thinking, decision-making, leadership and people management skills when using video games.
8. Simulation games provide collaborating learning – people who are trained through these games do it in a collaborative environment.
Gaming encourages cooperation and students feel they are part of something bigger.
10 Professions that use training video games
The use of video games for training has risen in the past few years. Many professionals are using games to motivate and empower their students and employees.
1. Ice cream scoopers – an ice cream franchise developed a video game to train employees how to make various types of ice-creams. It was a fun and an entertaining way to learn about the ice-cream business.
2. Hospitals – various hospitals have started using simulation games to train doctors and nurses how to handle accident cases or surgical cases. In addition, video games have shown to help improve doctor’s hand-eye coordination and spatial perception.
3. Astronauts – navigating is not an easy task to train on earth. However, digital games can be used to boost moods, foster teamwork, and predict environmental changes.
4. Driving – virtual driving is a great way for truck drivers to learn more driving skills. For instance, when virtual driving, the environment can throw hail, ice, and other road dangers to prepare the driver for the real thing.
5. Dentists – training games can be used to help trainees understand complex dental procedures such as implants.
6. Firefighters – it is impossible for firefighters to set buildings on fire for them to practice on how to put out the fire. Happily, there are some video games that have been developed to train them how to put out the fire.
7. Accounting – today, many accountants are using simulation games to try accounting tests that help them understand more about tax preparations and money management.
8. Typists – There are several typing games that have been created to teach beginners how to type. Some of these games are super fun to play.
For example, there are typing games that improve your typing speed.
9. Military – Whether it’s learning how to fire a sniper rifle, or to fly a combat airplane, there’s a military simulation game waiting for you.
10. Fishing – If you’re interested in learning how to fish without going outdoors, you can play a fishing simulation game. These games are designed to show you the best times to fish, what bait to use, and how to navigate with your boat.
Best training video games
Nowadays, every professional is looking for the best strategies on how to improve their skills and prevent brain aging.
One of the best ways is by using training video games. The games are fun, entertaining and applicable to real life situations. Below are some of the best training games.
1. Brain Age 2 (For Nintendo DS) – it is a brain training video game that is designed to keep the brain sharp. It is fun, challenging and portable.
2. Memory trainer – it is one of the best simulation games on the market and can be used by various professionals.
3. Lumosity brain trainer – It is a fun app that is mostly used as a brain puzzle.
4. Sudoku – although most people are aware of Sudoku, it is an amazing brain game that can help to keep the brain sharp. It is easy, fun and entertaining to both young and old.
5. Brain Metrix – it is a game that offers a large collection of memory, concentration, and color challenges. It can also be used to prevent diseases such as dementia and Alzheimer.
6. Other training video games include Eidetic, Cognifit brain fitness, Clevermind, and Dakim.
Last Updated on April 5, 2019 by Tony