Today, video games have become common entertainment choices for young and old. Unluckily, there several risks of excessive gaming.
One of the most common risks of video games is addiction. It is wise for everyone to note that video game addiction can have negative effects on the individual and their family.
Video games and gaming products are in a field that has grown into a multi-billion dollar industry.
Billions of young kids, teens, and adults are flocking to online stores and local shops to search for the latest video games on the market.
Players prefer playing games online or have them on their computers. Due to the fun and entertainment that comes with gaming, some individuals have become addicted to them and can spend long hours playing games.
Some people neglect their health, jobs, family and other important aspects of life.
What is video game addiction?
Although research does not agree that gaming is a bad habit, most people associate video games with laziness, violence, and addiction.
According to researchers, video games are very beneficial. They can be used to treat depression and provide a great opportunity for children to improve their cognitive skills.
But when gamers start spending endless hours playing digital games, the benefits of gaming disappears.
If you can spend your entire day playing a video game at the expense of other important duties, you are suffering from gaming addiction.
Video game addiction is a psychological disorder that has become popular and a bigger problem in the entire world.
Children, teenagers, and young adults have become hooked on gaming and they have ignored important tasks they should be doing.
According to research, video games are taking over minds of many young people. Some signs of video game addiction include:
• Aggression towards video games
• Spending their entire leisure time gaming
• Signs of anxiety when expecting a new game or starting a new game level.
• Gaming for more than six hours in a day
• Choosing video games instead of playing outside with other children
• Playing video games even at night and becoming bad-tempered when not allowed to play.
• Choosing video games instead of socializing with family members or friends.
However, digital gaming addiction cannot be compared with drug abuse or alcoholism.
Even though it can lead to various negative effects, it is something that can be overturned by following the right channels.
What are the harmful effects of video game addiction?
Video game addiction has many harmful effects. The addiction will not only prevent children or teenagers from using their time properly. There are other adverse effects that include:
* Weight gain (obesity)
* Lowered metabolism
* Poor social interaction
* Aggressive thoughts and behavior
* Lack of cooperation. All they want is to win
* Eye problems
* Back and neck pain due to prolonged sitting
Video games are fun and very entertaining. When played correctly, particularly with moderation, chances are that they cannot cause addiction or other health problems.
In fact, video gaming has numerous benefits if played at the right time and by the right people.
Parents need to check, learn and understand different types of video games.
But when playing a video game becomes an issue and starts influencing the behavior of the individual, treatment is required.
Video game addiction can lead to violent behavior, particularly in children.
Most people who are at risk of video game addiction are young men under thirty years, teenagers, and children.
How parents can limit/control the risks of digital game addiction
There are many steps a parent can take to control a child’s access to digital games. Most of these steps can limit the risks that occur when a person plays games.
For example, there are several digital games that are intelligent and educational for children and teenagers.
However, whether it is an educational game or an entertainment game, there should be a limit of the number of hours a kid should play. Some steps a parent can take are as follows:
1. Limiting time – just like movies or TV, video games should not take all your child’s time. You need to set a time limit he or she should play.
2. Always track the playing time – be careful to check the number of hours your child plays video games.
Depending on their mood, you may notice that kids like playing video games when they are angry, depressed, sad, bored or in a different state of mind.
3. Be attentive to issues that lead to gaming – if you notice a specific game can cause your kids to behave differently, consider replacing them with a different type of game genre.
4. Tantrums after the time limit – once you notice your kid has signs of anger, depression or stress after the playing time is over, place firmer limitations on that game.
5. Reward them for completing non-gaming tasks – Ask your kids to finish their homework or clean up their rooms before allowing them to play games.
Treatment for video game addiction
There are many treatment methods that can be used to help people who are addicted to gaming.
Most of these treatment methods revolve around helping young adults, kids, and teenagers. Treatments help to overcome emotions and assist them to find alternative ways to be productive.
Whether the addiction is severe or mild, it is significant to pay attention to the signs and look for appropriate help once you notice it is getting worse.
Some digital game addiction treatments include:
* Counseling – the most effective treatment for video game addiction is counseling. It focuses on changing unproductive and negative thoughts to stop bad behavior or emotions.
But because it is impossible for children and teenagers to stop using the internet, the treatment focuses on teaching the gamer how to use the internet in a helpful manner..
* Rehabilitation – another fantastic treatment option is going to a rehab. Gamers who are unable to give up their console or gaming should consider this treatment.
Some benefits of rehabilitation are that patients are not only addressed on gaming issues, but they are also taught life and social skills.
* Medication – there are several drugs that can be used to treat gaming disorders. They help to reduce cravings for video games.
Compared to alcoholism or drug addiction, gaming addiction might not look serious.
But parents and partners of the addicted people can speak about the negative effects of digital games.
It is therefore important to consider the right treatment once your notice addiction signs.