When listing popular video game companies, Nintendo is a company that will definitely be on the list.
Nintendo’s history can be traced back to the 1880s. It is the most successful Japanese multi-national video game developer.
Actually, it can be listed as the world’s largest gaming company by market capitalization. Nintendo has several offices all over the world.
When it comes to gaming products, there are several ironic things about Nintendo.
Although the increase in competition in the past years has caused the company’s overall rank to fall, it does not mean Nintendo is no longer in the gaming industry.
Mario, Pokemon and the Legend of Zelda are some of the company’s most popular video games.
Nintendo has also tried working with various small niche businesses that include love hotels and cab services.
However, very few people know the history of the company and its achievements. Below is a brief history of Nintendo.
The History of Nintendo
Nintendo is a company that was formed as a card playing company. In 1883, Fusajiro Yamauchi established a business to produce and market cards.
The handmade cards became so popular that he had to hire other people to help him satisfy the demand.
In 1949, the company changed its name from Hanafuda to Nintendo Karuta Company.
Later, the company ventured into different businesses before landing in the video gaming industry.
Nintendo worked its way into the gaming sector with a few developments.
However, things changed in 1974 when the company purchased distribution rights for the Magnavox Odyssey.
Then in 1975, the company began making its own video game consoles. But it wasn’t until Donkey Kong was released that brought significant changes in the gaming field.
The supremacy of Nintendo started to be recognized when the company started to produce handheld-consoles and family computers for gaming.
• Nintendo Entertainment System – is an 8-bit video game console that was released in 1985 in North America, and in 1986 and 1987 throughout Europe.
However, the console was released in Japan as a “Family Computer”.
• Super Nintendo Entertainment System – is a 16-bit video game console that was more advanced in sound and graphic capabilities.
• Nintendo 64 – was released in 1996 with 3D-features, and more advancements compared to the previous consoles.
• Wii – became popular all over the world. It was released in 2006. It has unique features and it is able to receive updates and messages over the internet.
• Wii U – is the successor of Wii. It was released in 2012 all over the world, and the first Nintendo console to be able to support high-definition graphics.
Nintendo, the Pioneer of Video Games
It’s innovating features and amazing elements have attracted a large gaming population that has sold more than 12 million units as of 2017.
With an array of video game consoles and digital games under Nintendo’s name, the company has remained focused on entertainment and innovation.
Although Sony and Microsoft may have an advantage in the gaming industry, Nintendo has already made its mark.
Nintendo strives to be a pioneer in the gaming sector.
Even though Nintendo has had its ups and downs, the company’s history cannot be re-written easily.
It will remain a great gaming company that will continue to evolve and entertain.