If you ask randomly whether there is a relationship between real violence and violent video games, more than 50 percent of people believe there is a connection.
Studies show that most people think and believe the rise of school-bullying and mass-shootings are influenced by gaming.
Today, video games and gaming products bring around ten billion dollars in America alone.
Even though there are tons of video games for kids to play, most of them prefer playing the violent ones.
Harmless video games or educational games are not liked by many children as the action video games.
Actually, violent video game sales are more than 50 percent of the total gaming sales.
But do violent games cause aggression?
If you play a violent video game, one thing you will notice is that they are horrific and some are terrifying. It is like world-war II or two countries fighting each other.
Due to the violence they contain, parents, teachers, and pediatrics believe they can influence children to become aggressive.
They believe kids who play violent video games are bullies, violent to girls and are responsible for mass-shootings in schools.
But video game advocates and researchers have different opinions. Basing their arguments on studies, social violence cannot be caused by violent video games.
In fact, a violent video game can be used by depressed people, angry children or relaxing adults to calm their feelings.
Research shows that action video games can help to reduce crime and treat depression.
Why critics think violent video games causes aggression?
1. Gaming can cause aggression, school fights, and bullying. Children who engage themselves with violent gaming are likely to start cyber bullying or bullying at school to mimic the stars of the game.
They can also turn violent to their parents, teachers or counselors.
2. Based on statistics and reports, individuals who commit mass-shootings were violent video games fanatics.
Actually, police reports indicate that half of those criminals may have been influenced by video games.
3. Playing action video games for a long time can brainwash people to think violence is a way of life.
According to researchers, violent video games have short-term and long-term effects. And one main effect is desensitizing children to social violence.
4. A hero of a violent video game is a violent person. And since kids would like to be like them, they try to mimic what the stars do.
Some children may understand fake violence from the real violence.
5. When children are exposed to violence at an early age, it can lead to a decrease in kindness or lower sympathy.
6. Some video games promote violence towards children and women. If the gamers are young, the activity can influence them to abuse women or children in the future.
7. Violent video games show that fighting is the best way to deal with conflicts. Actually, once a player wins a battle he or she is rewarded with weapons, more lives, or moved to a higher level.
This shows that violence is praised in video games.
8. Most armed forces use violent video games to train their soldiers. They show them how to kill, hide and attack.
Although video games can benefit the military, it is not the same case for children, teenagers or young adults.
Facts that show violent video games cannot cause aggression
Due to many cases of mass-shootings in clubs, schools, and other social places, people point fingers to gun laws and violent video games.
Even though it is important to find the main cause of mass-shootings, it is vital to consider the facts. Here are some facts that show violent video games cannot cause aggression.
1. The gaming field is one of the fastest growing industries in the world. Fortunately, children crime rates have reduced.
This is a clear indication that digital games cannot influence violence.
Even as more individuals all over the world continue buying and downloading video games, the crime rate, violence, and homicides have reduced.
That’s a clear indication that social violence and violent video games cannot cause aggression.
2. Many studies have shown that the link between a video game and day to day violence is unsatisfactory.
By looking at all angles of gaming, there is no evidence that relates the two. The prime factors of social violence are the family history and mental violence.
3. Besides, the US Supreme Court stated that there was no evidence that showed video games can influence teenagers, kids or young adults to start acting aggressively.
4. It is not possible for a child to turn violent after playing a violent video game. According to research, around 70% of children in America are involved in gaming.
These games involve fistfights, guns, and swords. With all those activities, only a fraction of gamers are influenced by playing video games.
In fact, reports show that individuals who are involved in gaming become more social, happy and inspired. This is another indication that gaming cannot cause aggressive behaviors.
5. When someone is angry or stressed, one strategy that can help is gaming. Kids, particularly boys who play violent video games are able to manage their emotions faster than non-gamers.
Children love playing games after school, during school holidays, when stressed, or when they are angry. Based on studies, the drop in crime rates is due to the result of children staying busy.
One reason why young boys love violent video games is that they experience fame, power and other great dreams.
6. Most of the children who play video games can easily understand the difference between virtual violence and real violence.
They can clearly tell that a video game is a fun and entertaining form of sport. This means it is impossible for them to be influenced in any way.
And according to children health and growth experts, fantasy is vital to a child’s growth. It promotes creativity, decision making, and problem solving skills.
7. Studies have also proven that violent video games affect children positively. Gaming encourages pro-social behaviors.
8. Around 80% to 90% of young boys and girls in many civilized nations are involved in gaming. Most of them play games using their smartphones.
This means that the problem of mass-shootings has no relationship with gaming.
9. Studies pointed out numerous factors that contribute to violence. Happily, gaming was not on the list.
10. Playing violent video games offers an amazing chance for kids to learn and understand the consequences and effects of violence.
11. Gaming keeps the young minds busy. When children are busy playing video games, they have no time to engage in bad habits.
There are many misconceptions about the subject of violent video games and aggression.
But there is proof that violent gaming does not directly influence children to act aggressively.
However, as a responsible parent it is wise to learn and understand the benefits and the disadvantages of video games.