When it comes to video game genre, it can be described as the style of game-play and not the story or setting as classified in the media.
In gaming, it is possible to move from one style to another style within a game. A video game genre has numerous games, which are later classified into sub-genres.
For instance, in action genre, games can be classified sub-genres known as platform games and fighting games.
Things to know about video game genres
Today, the video game industry is bigger than both music and movie industries in income.
This is due to the number of companies involved and the genres created. The birth of multiple genres has made many people all over the world participate in gaming.
This is something that was not available in the past. Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game or MMORPG is one genre that attracts millions of people in different countries all over the world.
It is played online by numerous gamers. To understand more about video game genres, here is a list of common genres.
List of video game genres
One of the common genre in gaming is the action video genre.
These are games that highlight challenges where the gamer needs hand-to-eye coordination skills to overcome them.
In most action games, the player is in control. This is among the largest genre in gaming. Some sub-genre in action genre include:
• Platform-games – these are games that you play by avoiding obstacles. You need to climb, jump and control your movements.
Some well-known games in this sub genre are Super Mario Bros, Gameboy Advance, and Donkey Kong.
• Shooter games – here, gamers participate by using weapons. The games are also known as violent video games.
In this sub-genre, the games are further classified as first-person shooters and third-person shooters.
Some games include Battlefield, Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty and many more.
• Fighting games – these are one on one fights. They are also classified as violent video games.
Some popular fighting games are Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Devil May Cry.
This is a type of genre that involves the collection of items, combat, and puzzle solving.
In some cases, action-adventure games are known as modern games. Some sub genres in this field include:
• Survival horror – the category involves fear, and its aim is to scare gamers through death, gore, and blood. Examples are Resident Evil and Silent Hill.
• Metroidvania – these are games that require the player to explore. However, the paths are limited and there are many obstacles.
These are the easiest games to design. Unlike in the movies where adventure movies are defined by the content, adventure games are not defined by the action.
Some common sub-categories of adventure genre include:
• Text adventure – these are games such as the Zork series.
• Graphic adventure – these are games, which use graphics to deliver the environment to the gamer.
• Visual novels – it more like a novel where a player needs to accomplish a certain chapter before advancing.
• Interactive movie – it contains full-motion characters or cartoons where gamers control parts of the movie.
• 3D adventure (Real-time) – some of the famous games in this category are Nightfall, Realmyst, and Shadow of Memories.
4. Role-Playing Games
As the name suggests, video games in this category allow players to play as someone else.
Most of them involve guiding characters through a world full of monsters. Some games in this genre include Skyrim, Fallout, the Gothic series and many others.
There are many sub-genres in this category that include:
• Action RPG
• Tactical RPG
• Sandbox RPG
5. Simulation games
This is a genre where video games are designed closely to simulate features of real or fictional reality.
• Construction & management simulation – this is a game where players need to build, manage or expand projects.
You will find city-building games, business-simulation games, and government simulation games.
• Life simulation – this games involve relationships and individuals. The Sims game is a good example.
• Vehicle simulation – this includes racing games, flight games, train and space-flight simulator games.
To play this game, you need to have a strategy. The games require a lot of thinking, planning and organizing to achieve victory.
Some common sub-genres include:
• 4X Game – this refers to strategy-games with 4-main goals. To explore, then expand, then exploit, and then exterminate.
• Artillery game – these are some of the earliest games developed in the industry. They involve tanks battling each other. The World of Tanks online game is an artillery-game.
• Real-time strategy – here, the players have to make decisions and action based on the state of the game.
• Real-time Tactics
• Tower defense
These are digital games that simulate different sports. The opposite team can be controlled by another player or by the computer/artificial intelligence (AI).
• Racing – here the gamer competes against time and other race car drivers.
• Sports games – emulate playing different games such as soccer, basketball, and others. One of the common game is the FIFA series.
• Sport-based fighting games – these include boxing, wrestling, and kickboxing games. Some of them include WWE-2K and Fight Night.
8. Other notable genres
• MMO & MMORPG – there are video games that support numerous players. Players can be in any part of the world since the game is played online.
These games allow players to participate and face each other on a large scale. The players can also interact with each other.
A good example of a popular online game is World of Warcraft.
• Casual games – most of these video games are on mobile platforms. They are simple to pick up and play.
• Party games – they are designed for multiplayer and involve collecting items in a specific time frame.
Some of these games include Mario Party and Crash Bash.
• Logic games – these are games where a player is required to solve puzzles
• Trivia games – found on most mobile devices where players have a few minutes to complete certain tasks.
• Card games – many modern computers have card games installed ready to play.
• Games genres by purpose – while many video games are created for entertainment, there are others that are designed for specific purposes.
Some are made to stimulate, inform or persuade. They may have puzzles, action or adventure.
Examples of this game genre are art games, Christian games, causal games, educational games, and personalized games.